Thursday, July 26, 2012

Why FXR Evolution?

I know it's obvious that my '89 FXR has an Evolution motor in it, but the meaning behind the title of this blog is not to give praise to the Evolution motor, but to explain the evolution of the FXR community, as i see it and to explain the evolution of my motorcycle world because of the FXR. I recognize that my understanding of the FXR community is only so deep, as deep as a skinned knee, nevertheless from what I have read and witnessed the FXR community has definitely evolved. For some time now certain motorcycle clubs have ridden predominantly FXR's, and in doing so, the FXR has gained the reputation as a 'club' bike. Upon learning about the FXR it's no wonder that certain motorcycle clubs have adopted the FXR as the bike of choice. With its overall geometry and design, made for both long range riding and light to light competitions of whose got the biggest shoes..the FXR is right at home. From a stripped down FXR to an FXRT or Grand Touring edition the FXR is so versatile yet still sports the same bullet proof power plant, the Evolution motor (I know the FXR started out as a Shovelhead, but I can't testify to that motor because I have never owned one and I don't want to do that reputation any injustice.. so I'll leave that one for a seasoned FXR owner). I've owned two Evo motors and one Twin cam and in my personal opinion after owning both.. there's nothing like hearing and feeling a carburated Evo come to life after feeding it it's morning dose of high test with a couple yokes of the throttle versus a computer driven Twin Cam start after you turn the ignition key to start. Fuel injected motors to me seem to have no life.. the first example FXR Evolution.
Come on really?? What's not sexy about an '80's FXR?
Even a bare bone FXR slightly stripped or modified screams bad ass!
The FXR is a total utilitarian motorcycle, which is what makes it's following so cool and so unique. In this day of age of LED's and intercom systems to chrome 21 inch wheels and extended fenders.. its no wonder that the many variations of the FXR are what make it cool. Simply put, it's so damn cool because it's NOT COOL!! Second example of FXR Evolution.. Straight Mad Max sexy!!
Moving away from a utilitarian and no nonsense motorcycle, speeding up to todays interpretation of what an FXR is about, we come to this..
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmCnlXt_Hpc

 What can you say?  Hell'z Ya!!!   FXR Evolution.. get it?

3 comments:

  1. Dig the Shovel Super Glide tank on the third photo down, I had one on a rigid frame Shovel back in the day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. FXRS-conv 1993! Have to decide whether Thunderheader or Supertrapp 2:1,

    you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put a supertrap 2:1 on. Like the look fit easy and and don’t drag pipe on turns anymore. Sounds great and not too loud which I like. Also my understanding is some back pressure from disks supports torque over hp which was direction wanted. Don’t know much about thunderheader. Much happier than the pro pipe that came with the bike. It was crazy loud and sort of hollow sounding at idle. I do feel it had a better top end thoUgh.

    ReplyDelete