Wednesday, July 25, 2012

In the beginning

I started my FXR 'sickness' as I like to call it, in February 2012. I knew nothing of the FXR or its insane following.. I was just an average motorcycle enthusiast with a passion for anything but the ordinary. I was so damn tired of all the popular Geezer Glides, flat black bobbers with red wheels and "Ride to live, live to ride" themed garage ornaments flooding the streets. Before my eyes were opened to the FXR scene, I was riding a 2001 Road King which I was attempting to go for the lowrider/gangster feel.. 16 inch apes, fishtails.. the normal. Still, my appetite for something original and cool was still there. The Road Toad was cool, but not really. My buddy, who rides a 1988 FXRP, told me I needed to GOOGLE the FXR and see what it was about. So I looked into it, with reservation.. after all it was just a DYNA or a big Sporty, right? HA! What a dumb ass! So I found a few detailed write ups and began to see that this 'DYNA' was pretty bad ass! I thought to myself "whats so big about this plain ass bike?" I read on an learned one of the reasons the FXR was not so popular was because of its triangulated frame that everyone thought looked too much like a Jap bike. I knew right then I loved it! I consider myself a true motorcycle enthusiast, if you love motorcycles then you love them all.. American and Rice. The fact that people hated the looks of the FXR because of that design, is what intrigued me. I know I may get a lot of shit because of my views of Harley's versus Jap, but you know what?? Fuck it.. if your too narrow minded to appreciate the history and contribution both have made to the motorcycle 'scene'.. it's your loss. That's another topic.. Moving on.. here is where it all began for me. A 1989 FXR Superglide I bought (or should I say stole) for a mere $4500 bucks! The bike had its typical feel for an '89 owned by a man in his 60's. Buckhorns, drag pipes, live to ride, ride to live themed covers, Mustang seat, chrome tail light visor and a blue dot in the tail light.. at the time I didn't like the look, but saw the potential. The bike looks a bit different now, but I have learned to really dig that true 80's feel that could only be accomplished by a man in his 60's. I learned that the original owner had gone to prison for a long time (reason not known, but it sounded cool as shit!)and that he sold it to his buddy. His buddy rode it a while and did nothing to it and then it came into the hands of the guy I bought it from. When I found this bike on Craigslist, the guy told me it was too fast for him and he just didn't ride it like it needed to be ridden. He said "the FXR is meant to be ridden hard and fast and I'm just not doing the bike justice" Thats when I knew I had to go see it, ride it and see what the hype was about this FXR thing! I drove up and road that bastard down his street in 45 degree weather.. as soon as grabbed a hand full of throttle and leaned into it, I was hooked!! Smile from ear to ear! Bad ASS!! Here's what it looked like when I got it.. check the old dude I bought it from sitting on his lift in the background, smoking his cigarette in the background thinking "this young fuck has no idea what he's buying, he's probably just buying it cuz it's cheap. He aint gonna appreciate it." Bullshit!! That's all I have to say about that!

4 comments:

  1. The FXR is the best kept secret that most people will never know. I personally dig this. It is my experience that many people, unless they have the sickness, buy the FXR because it is a cheap way to get on a Harley. The next thing you know the have put a wide glide front end, 21 inch front tire, bob tail fender and a fat bob tank on it in the hopes of turning it into "a cool looking bike". What they fail to realize is, they have just RUINED the BEST Harley ever built. You can tell the guy that has no idea what the bike is by looking at it. DON'T MAKE IT ANYTHING ELSE!!! It is what it is because it is SUPPOSED to be that! If you want something else... BUY something else and leave the COOL bike for the guys who appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FXR wasnt a 'milwaukee' products, but a serious Harley project with Eric Buell design, designed calculation and heart, not by 'look'. As result, big loss move for Harley Davidson to discontinued it, but a respected move by Harley Davidson for appreciating a real soul of riding a motorcycle. As a Harleys hidden treasures which not many bikers realized.

    So lucky for us to ride an FXR today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just bought a 93 fxlr for what I consider a steal, 5500. bike looks like new and only has 36,000, But as Procco said it was gayed up with allot of chrome a wideglide and 21" tire. But where I lucked is that both owners kept every original part and the guy was more than happy to through it all in for free as he just got a new road king. I dont plan to do much but put the stock front end back on set my bars up to my liking and look for a good exhaust then go ride the shit out of it. post pics as soon as I get it delivered.

    2WheelLuv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome lifestyle Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and overall well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2010. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a cyclometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescriptions like: Insulin ,Sulfonamides,Thiazolidinediones but Could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain but bring back the pain again. i found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabetes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, GOUT, PROGENITOR, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE. HEARING  LOSSDr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal anybody that comes to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2349010754824

    ReplyDelete